Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thing #21 - Podcasts and Videocasts

I l..o..v..e using Photostory, MovieMaker and Camtasia Studio. For orientation, at the beginning of the year last year my co-worker videotaped the orientation and I then took what was on the video and added music, additional info and animation using MovieMaker. I like to change the orientation presentations each year, because new things are added and also things change. I recently purchased a Flip Video Camcorder (which I love!) and I think it would be a good investment for the library to purchase one to make videos, etc. Throughout the year I posted several videos on Blackboard about the "Happenings in the Library!" And I even posted a podcast on Blackboard (ie. announcing Teen Read Week). A few years ago I sent a video to the person in charge of the district webpages and they posted the video on the campus library district webpage. However, now we (district librarians) are supposed to have more access to the campus library district webpage and I would like to post more of these videos and podcasts sharing the "Happenings in the Library!" for more patrons to see.

I currently also use Camtasia Studio 2 software (which the library purchased). Camtasia Studio software is a screen video capture program. You download Camtasia Studio 6 and try it out I believe for a 30 day period. I have found that basically these programs all work the same. At first, it did take some time but once you get the hang of it and organize it, it is fun, fun! These videos are just a shortened version of "orientation" and "happenings in the library".